Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Tattered Florals....

 
I've been going through a bit of a creative funk just lately...
so to snap me out of it...I thought a little challenge was in order!
..and over on
Blog
Tim has challenged us
to create something
using the
Tattered Floral Die
now...this has to be one of my favourite dies...
and I just love to tatter my florals...dont you?!.....
so how could I resist this challenge...
-oOo-
...this die makes some fabulous shabby blooms!
I love making my tattered florals with different papers, materials and fabric...such a versatile die..
-oOo-
But for this challenge I decided to make a batch of fabric flowers...and see where the inspiration took me.....
So I went rooting through my fabric scraps bag...
and made loads, with different materials!!....
Just add a button, bead, gem or brad to the centres of each flower.... distress if needed...and hey presto...the perfect tattered floral!
-oOo-
I picked out a few of the natural coloured ones that I made...and this is what I created for the challenge...
 
 
 
I altered a gorgeous little vintage baby dress with my tattered florals, this beautiful teeny antique dress was gifted to me to alter ...by the lovely Margaret from Alice and Camilla ( who sadly is having a indefinate bloggy break at the mo...come back soon M...we miss you!) lace, vintage buttons, doilies, baby image from a photo printed onto fabric, beads, vintage doll, wing charm, rusty butterfly, paint, inks, Tim Holtz Idea-ology Philosophy tags and trinket pins.
 
My tattered florals

I decided to frame my altered dress, to hang in my craft room
So I bought a cheap box frame from ikea...added a vintage style sheet of Tim Holtz (paper stack) paper for the background...

...a vintage style hanger
and some old baby shoes (shabbied up) 
 
Mmmmmm.....I got a little carried away
and made some more flowers!....
(These were all made with the Tattered Floral die)
...some made for some Spring/Easter crafts
...and some shabby vintage ones too
the little red flowers were made from a ribbon fabric....and were singed at the edges with a heat tool, to make them shrivel a little.
-oOo-
 
Thanks for peeking!
Jan x
 
My 'Tattered florals' altered baby dress on display in my craft room.
(Barney Boy getting in on the act!...I think he is wondering where all the creative mess has gone..this sofa is usually covered in papers, fabrics and projects LOL!)

25 comments:

  1. wow your makes are totally marvelous. Especially love the cushion and the baby collage. You have really made those Tattered Florals Sing. Am sure Tim Holtz will be most impressed with your wonderful entry. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan, thanks for the lovely welcome back :)
    I like the makeover your blog has had. Your framed dress is wonderful - so pretty and vintage and all that lovely detail too ...... and it looks wonderful on the wall. That photo at the end of your post looks really professional and I thought at first it was how you ended all your blog posts. Barney boy is looking mighty fine too - bless him!

    .... look forward to seeing what else you make with all those beautiful flowers you've made xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a gorgeous project, I just saw it on Tim Holtz blog! I love all the flowers you've made! How many do you layer together? They are gorgeous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori...depending on the thickness of the fabric, I keep layering until I get the flower I desire...for a nice shabby flower I usually use 3 of each petal shape, and if you layer with some tulle...that helps shabbier up the flower even more :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Jan, it is just amazingly beautiful, -
    so lovely is the old dress, and the flowers are beautiful,with the sweet shoes, -the many old laces, and the dear doll - it is gorgoues!!!
    Hugs and happy weekend.
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breathtaking work Jan.... O my word I love it!! Full of wonderful lace!! Love the image & great stitching... Fabulous flowers & buttons...Brilliant idea to add the china doll... Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This latest piece with the tattered florals is lovely Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful - love those tattered florals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barney boy is adorable, bless him. Your vintage dress is absolutely stunning. You use lace and flowers and vintage pieces so well, this is just fantastic as are your flowers. I cannot believe how many flowers you made in one go, wow. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. so very beautiful jan , love all those fabric flowers :}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... Totally GORGEOUS! What a wonderful treasure you have hanging on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing. You are so good at these Vintage shabby creation. I am loving those tatter flowers. I always enjoy popping in to see what you have created.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice project. love how authentically vintage if feels even though the flowers are brand spankin' new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a TH die that I keep meaning to buy and then keep talking myself out of. You do shabby chic so well. Love those old baby shoes. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow, wow, wow! This is stunning and looks amazing framed and up on your wall! I don't have that die but I now think I REALLY NEED it! You have made such beautiful flowers.

    Barney is a poser!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW Jan... this project is AMAZING... I ADORE your framed vintage baby's dress... absolutely stunning... love all the laces... shoes... adorable image... and of course the flowers... what a fabulous die... I didn't realize you could use it with fabric also... absolutely gorgeous... and loving that Barney popped in for a pic as well... he is soooo cute...

    Jenny ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvelous Jan, oh my gosh what can I say !!!
    What an amazing creation. I just love everything about it. So powerful and the little shoes are so adorable. I love the use of colors and the flowers, how clever you are my friend.
    Fabulous piece, thank you for sharing.

    (I didn`t know that the Tattered Floral Works with fabric? Is there a trick?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only tricks Martina, depending on the thickness of the fabric, I usually cut 2-3 layers of fabric at a time through my Vagabond machine, I also run the die through in both directions to make sure the fabric is cut right through.
      Then I just keep layering the fabric petals until I get a nice shabby flower...and I join all the petals together with a few stitches....they also look great made from different fabric...felt and denim look great...I think you could spray on some fabric stiffener on to the fabric...but I have not tried that yet. Hope that helps?

      Delete
    2. Totally beautiful Jan, but methinks I could fall out with you as I was trying to find a dress to alter for this challenge!(only joking, I'm glad you did it first as its far more beautiful than I could have done) back to the drawing board for me, but I shall keep popping back to this post to drool over yours, I hope you win! Love barb x

      Delete
  17. Jan, if this is what you can create, coming out of a funk, I really need to step up my game. Absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, see what I've missed!! I can't believe how gorgeous the little dress turned out, a beautiful work of art, you are soooo clever. I love every detail even down to the angle it's hanging on, superbly photographed too, you are such a talent Mx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh My, I have just found your wonderful Tattered Flowers. They are absolutely gorgeous. I was wondering how you made them look dimensional. I have added layers to mine but they seem to look flat. I love your wonderful site.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by...I appreciate all your lovely comments :)