Friday, 27 February 2015

Silk painting with Ali from Kinetika


I've had a fantastic week getting arty this week.. after a bit of a slow start to the year...my mojo seems to be returning with a vengence!! ....I've been ploughing through lots of unfinished projects...mixed media, knitting , DT piece for a new Arty Challenge and some fabric mini quilties.
 
...and on Monday.... I had a fabulous painty, creative time...I was lucky enough to get the chance to participate in some silk painting. It all came about when Susan decided that it would be nice to have a banner for our little 'Needles and Chat' knitting group...
So it was arranged for us to be taught by the talented Ali Pretty (Ali founded the international design company 'Kinetika')

 
This Design company is amazing..Now based at the High House Production Park in Thurrock...Kinetika focuses on designing for large scale..community projects, carnival events and outdoor celebrations.

So...Last week, we designed the banner...all adding our own little individual drawings (mainly of items we have knitted during our time in the group). Well...I have knitted lots of toys since I learnt to knit properly ...teddies, koala and lots of bunnies!! One of my bunnies who belongs to Kay has even had a trip to New York!! So my little contribution just had to be a rabbit!!
Here we are all looking pleased with our efforts
Then this week...we got on with the fun waxy & painty part of the process.
We lay the silk over our combined artwork
and traced around the outlines ...painting it with hot wax..
This was quite scary at first...But..we did get the chance to practice the waxing and painting on our own little art pieces initially...
before we attempted the Group Banner
...and here is the 'Needles and chat' banner in its full glory
Everyone's arty input was wonderful
Here a couple of  close ups....
My contribution.... Ralph the Rabbit!!
 
Isn't Julia's vibrant multi-coloured vase fantastic
 
...and Kays gorgeous poppy & Daffodil
 
I really enjoyed my two evenings silk painting with Kinetika at High House. We got to take our own little practice pieces home with us... I may just have a go at embellishing it with some buttons, beads and embroidery and make a little piece of it!
 
Hope you all have had a creative week...would love to hear what artistic endeavours you have been up too!
 
Thanks for peeking!
Jan x

5 comments:

  1. Your banner looks lovely. The quilt group I belonged to several years ago were asked to make some decorations for the local church. As the church building was a modern one just brick walls inside we did 3 huge hangings made to look like stained glass windows. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic banner Jan, well done to you and the group, it looks fabulous - I know how difficult it can be to paint on silk. I do love Ralph! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Jan....loving the bunny the best of course ;)
    Nice to have you back blogging
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a really fun and rewarding project Jan and your Ralph is really rocking it!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bright fun indeed! I love painting on silk for creating jewellery.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by...I appreciate all your lovely comments :)